< HUNGARY | BUDAPEST: Novotel Budapest Centrum
Designed by architects Marcell Komor and Dezső Jakab, Novotel Budapest Centrum, originally known as the Palace Hotel, opened in 1911. Being the most fashionable hotel of that time, it dazzled the elegant public with its stuccoes and wrought iron decoration, colored glass windows, marble columns, the hall with a gallery and the gilt chandeliers. Besides the Secessionist / ArtNouveau motifs and style, the hotel supplied several modern services as hot and cold running water in every room, “telephone message sender system” and elevator. The Palace Hotel became popular with the wealthy bourgeoisie, aristocracy and merchants.
The press described the hotel as following: "Opening from the English-looking lobby is a breakfast room in Adam style and then a period restaurant a la Louis XIV. The beer hall in the basement
features Old German furniture and stained glass windows. On the first floor are a reading room, a lounge and a terraced garden. All 150 rooms on the six floors of the hotel overook the street,
and most have a balcony and a bathroom. Room service can be summoned via small electric lights, and a water-filled American fire extinguishing system is on standby in case of fire."
During the Second World War, the hotel sustained no serious damage, while after the war, like many other palaces in Budapest, it became a political party headquarters and it was used by Social Democratic Party between 1946 and 1949. In 1951, it became a hotel again but it never recover its original splendour. In the lack of renovation and reconstruction the building turned out of condition and was finally closed in the 90’s.
In 2002, after the renewal of its Secessionist decoration and being enlarged with two more side wings, this classical, grand hotel serves is original function with pomp once again. Renamed into Novotel Budapest Centrum, the hotel today, just like one hundred years ago, offers the beauty of elegance and the advantages of comfort to its guests.
Additional literature: n/a