< ARGENTINA | SAN CARLOS DE BARILOCHE: Llao Llao Hotel & Resort Golf Spa
Llao Llao Hotel & Resort
San Carlos de Bariloche
Av. Ezequiel Bustillo Km. 25
R8401ALN San Carlos de Bariloche
Phone: +54 294 444 5700
Fax: +54 294 444 5781
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
GPS: 41° 03' 28.1" S 71° 31' 52.9" W
powered by: Booking.com
Patagonia and Andean regions were completely uninhabited and virgin territories in 1934. Thanks to the arrival of the railroad and the enactment of the National Parks Act, due to which the National Parks Directorate and National Park Nahuel Huapi were to be created, 1934 marks a turning point in the history of San Carlos de Bariloche. The Nahuel Huapi area was no longer an isolated land. With the aim of developing the touristic potential of the area, the construction of an International Hotel was started together with the foundation of towns and development of communication networks.
Architect Alejandro Bustillo chose the Puerto Panuelo area in order to build the Hotel because, besides the magnificent and beautiful scenery, it had a port. With its Canadian style, larch
roof tiles, stone base and in perfect harmony with the landscape, the hotel opened its doors on January 9th 1938. The building had 132 rooms and luxury apartments on the upper floors. It also
boasted a tea room, a game room, a shopping area, a restaurant for 500 people, bar and solarium. A post office, telegraph, a National Bank branch and a pharmacy were also included.
Shortly after, on October 26th 1939, violent fires burnt that building down. As the hotel was temporarily closed at that time, there were no casualties. The material used in construction, namely wood and sawdust, used as insulation in the walls, and the prevailing wind, burnt what had been the greatest Argentine hotel in just four hours, turning it into in a pile of rubble and ashes. The reasons for the disaster are, to this day, a mystery.
The members of the Directorate of National Parks’ strong will power would be shown once again after the disaster: The Grand Hotel Llao Llao was reinaugurated on December 15th 1940, replacing some of its exterior wood for cement and the roofing shingles for Norman roofs. Soon, the Llao Llao Hotel acquired international fame and became an icon of hospitality.
Since its opening, the hotel attracted members of the aristocracy and the official and diplomatic world, as well as a number of illustrious guests. However, due to the lack of investment and inadequate maintenance, the hotel which had been Bariloche’s pride and joy was forced to close its doors in late winter of 1978. Fifteen years later, the Hotel opened its doors for the third time in July 1993 as Llao Llao Hotel & Resort.
The current setting is a resort with an 18-hole golf course, marina, beach, solarium, a large 15-hectare park integrated into the golf course, an indoor and an outdoor heated swimming pool, Health Club with sauna, Business Center and game rooms for adults and children. The hotel has 139 standard rooms, 12 suites - many of which include with their own fireplaces - 1 cabin and 11 studio suites overlooking Moreno Lake, Nahuel Huapi Lake and Mount López. The Presidential Suite, overlooking Nahuel Huapi Lake is 162 m2 and boasts a jacuzzi, shower massage, marble tiles, a large terrace of 108m 2 and a fireplace.
Since 1999, the Hotel is a member of “The Leading Hotels of the World ", organization that represents the best hotels in the world, currently 400. In the same year, the Hotel was declared Historical Monument by the city hall of San Carlos de Bariloche.
Additional literature: n/a