< UNITED KINGDOM | AUCHTERARDER: The Gleneagles Hotel
When the Gleneagles® Hotel opened in 1924 it was described as 'a Riviera in the Highlands' and 'the eighth wonder of the world'. Today, the hotel
remains dedicated to excellence, just as it was in its earliest days when "the avowed intention of the management is to create happiness". The hotel was built by
the former Caledonian Railway Company, with its own railway station. The Gleneagles Hotel is now owned by Diageo plc.
By the 1930s, golf and hotels were the height of fashion. Then as now, the Gleneagles Hotel was the glorious playground for people dedicated to leisure and pleasure in the most luxurious surroundings.
In the 1950s, Gleneagles was a fixed part of high society's calendar - after the London "season" it was yachting at Cowes, polo at Deauville and golf and grouse shooting at Gleneagles.
Until 1982, the hotel only opened during the summer months. Between 1982-86 more than £11 million was spent on a total renovation and restoration and the elegance and traditions of Gleneagles can now be enjoyed all year round. Total capital investment since 1982 is more than £46 million.
In 1986, Gleneagles was awarded the Automobile Association's supreme accolade of Five Red Stars, which it has retained every year. Since 1982, it has won more than 40 awards from the travel, catering and associated industries.
In 1993, the £5.9 million PGA Centenary Course, created by Jack Nicklaus, opened to complement the renowned King's and Queen's courses and form one of the world's finest golfing venues.
The Golf Academy, opened in 1994, enshrines the philosophy that improving a player's performance improves their enjoyment of the game.
Additional literature: n/a