< ITALY | FLORENCE: Hotel Savoy
- 125th Anniversary -
The Hotel Savoy was opened in 1893 in the beautiful piazza of the Mercato Vecchio (Old Market), today called Piazza della Repubblica, after the drastic intervention which demolished a large portion of the area including the Jewish Ghetto. The Mercato Vecchio was the first and most important piazza in the city, the center of social life and trading right from its earliest beginnings.
The historic church of San Tommaso previously occupied the site on which hotel stands today. On the same location, architect Giuseppe Baccini designed a simple palace for Israeli banker
Levi. Subsequently, the building was acquired by the Chiari family who transformed it into a luxury hotel. Hailed in the chronicles as one of the most modern and luxurious hotels of that
period, it quickly became a favourite haunt of the aristocracy. Originally hotel had 120 beds, central heating, an elevator and electric lights.
The hotel was restored in 1946 with a fifth floor being added in 1958, providing panoramic views across the Duomo and Campanile, and beyond to the Tuscan hills.
In May 2000 the Savoy was reopened under the prestigious Rocco Forte Hotels brand. The new refurbishment transformed the property into the finest luxury hotel in Florence. The Savoy maintains the previous welcoming atmosphere and identity as well as supreme comfort. Stylish interiors designed by Olga Polizzi, reflects the charm and character of the location in a contemporary way. Today the Savoy is the most important luxury hotel in the heart of Florence.
Additional literature: n/a