< UNITED STATES | PASADENA: The Langham Huntington, Pasadena
Situated on 23 acres in the San Gabriel Mountain foothills, the history of The Langham Huntington, Pasadena goes back to 1906, when General Marshall C. Wentworth purchased
knoll adjacent to the San Marino Ranch of Henry E. Huntington to build his “dream hotel.” A year later on February 1st 1907, the Hotel Wentworth opened its doors with a temporary roof above the
4th floor and several rooms still unfurnished. Unluckily, heavy rains fall in the Hotel’s first season resulted in several leaks and small income and on July 2, Hotel Wentworth closed its doors
and proceeded into bankruptcy.
In 1911, the Hotel was purchased by the railroad tycoon and art collector Henry Huntington. Architect Myron Hunt redesigned the interior and exterior of the main hotel building, the 5th and 6th floors, and the covered footbridge, while the landscape Architect William Hertrich designed and developed the Japanese Garden and the Horseshoe Garden. On January 8th 1914, the Hotel officially re-opened as The Huntington Hotel.
Between 1920 and 1929, 27 cottages were built surrounding hotel to accommodate longterm guests and in 1926, the Hotel opened California’s first Olympic sized swimming pool. In 1932, Painter Frank Moore was hired to create 41 California Murals for the property’s redwood footbridge.
At the beginning of World War 2 as the nation mobilized, all hotel reservations were cancelled, still, Hotel remained open for civilian and military use. The Army’s 35th Division used a portion of the hotel for its regional headquarters.
During the early 1980s, multimilliondollar restoration project were initiated with the intent of returning the hotel to its original elegance, however in 1985, core test showed the Hotel possesses only 1/4 the structural strength required by modern standards, and closure of the main building was ordered. In 1986, investing partnership Huntington Hotel Associates purchased the Hotel with plans to demolish and replicate the main building to retain its architectural integrity while meeting modern standards for structural safety. A year later in 1987, a special election was called due to the debate between demolition and replication versus renovation. With a 58% majority, the plans were approved and in 1991, the Hotel reopened as The RitzCarlton, Huntington Hotel.
In January 2008, the hotel was re-branded The Langham Huntington and has since invested millions into sustainability methods and property enhancements such as updating The Royce Wood-Fired Steakhouse, The Tap Room, Chuan Spa and five of the hotel’s cottages. In 2014, The Langham Huntington, Pasadena celebrated 100 years of enchanting hospitality as the Huntington Hotel. As a famed Pasadena landmark for 100 years, The Huntington Hotel has provided memories for millions of guests in a tradition of luxury and elegance.
The Langham Huntington has been a favorite Hollywood filming location for decades, from film classics such as Seabiscuit (2003), The Parent Trap (1998), Flags of our Fathers (2006) and Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3 (2012), to television hits such as Private Practice, Happy Endings, MasterChef and The Oprah Winfrey Show.
Additional literature: n/a