< SWITZERLAND | VEVEY: Grand Hôtel du Lac
- 150th Anniversary -
Construction on the new hotel began in the month of March, 1867. Its owner, Mr Ed. Delajoux, entrusted the realization of this establishment to Swiss architect Mr Ernest Burnat, and the name of the future establishment was set: «Grand Hôtel du Lac». The site, in close vicinity of the lake Léman, made excavations and foundations construction difficult and stream engine was required to assure the proper drainage of lake waters.
A year later, on 18 December 1868, Opening Banquet announced the inauguration of the Grand Hôtel du Lac. 1878's "Guide Vevey-Montreux practical and environs", indicated
the existence of "Grand Hotel du Lac, while in "Bradshaw's Illustrated hand book to France" of the period, an advertisement was made: "Grand Hotel du Lac, Ed. Delajoux,
Proprietor. - This first-class establishment is particolarly recommended for its good accomodation and beautiful situation at the entrance of all the most frequented
promenades, in one of the most airy and salubrious parts of the town. It contains 150 Rooms and Bedrooms, a Dining-room, remarkable for its beauty, and comfortable apartments
and salons. Excellent Cuisine. Very good Pension in winter. English spoken."
Through the years, Grand Hôtel du Lac accomodated title of all grades and kinds: the princes, earls, barons, dukes, knights, marquis, pashas, admirals, generals, colonels, generals, bishops...
Number of personalities made one more or less long stay at the hotel. Thus the Count and Countess Karoly, HH the Prince of Hohenlohe - Langenberg, Joachim of Prussia son of William II, Prince and Princess Metternich, and the great Polish poet and politician, Henryk Sienkiewicz, who was forced to stay in Vevey for two years. On November 15th, 1916, he died at the hotel and a marble plaque affixed to the north facade remind us on this event.
Family management of the hotel, which began with Mr. Ed Delajoux, ended in 1970 when it was sold to the Hôtel des Trois Couronnes company. New owner renovated and modernised entire hotel and in 1979 created an outdoor restaurant and a pool.
Between 2005-2007, hotel was closed for two years renovations, under the guidence of Mr. Pierre-Yves Rochon, Parisian decorator who transformed it into a palace. One year after it was reopened under the direction of Christopher Rudolph, the hotel was returned to the prestigious membership of Relais & Chateaux.
Additional literature: n/a