< SWITZERLAND | PONTRESINA: Grand Hotel Kronenhof
Andreas Gredig from Prättigau, Grisons, bought the guest house “Rössli” in Pontresina in 1848. In the following 50 years, the guest house got more and more extended and in the year 1898, the luxurious premise, at that time known as the “Grand Hotel Kronenhof and Bellavista”, was welcoming their guests offering over 350 guest beds. The horseshoe-shaped three-winged structure with an honorary courtyard (Cour d’honneur) has been preserved as it used to be at that time.
The First and Second World War and years of crisis burdened the “Kronenhof” – only the Veltliner wine shop in the cellar of the guest house and farming revealed themselves to be
secure sources of income. This way, the Grand Hotel Kronenhof survived these challenging years, in which only few (Swiss) guests came to visit the Upper Engadine while benefiting
from the Winter Olympics 1928 and 1948 in St. Moritz.
After 140 years of family tradition, the Gredig family sold the “Kronenhof” in the year 1989 to Swiss private investors, and in spring 2004 the Grand Hotel Kronenhof and its entire property was bought by AG Grand-Hotels Engadinerkulm, owners of the famous Kulm-Hotel in St. Moritz.
To bring back the glamour and exclusiveness of passed times to the Grand Hotel, big investments were made. Different rooms and floors were completely renovated, 28 additional guest rooms as well as a 100 spaces of new underground garage and a more than 2000 sqm large spa complex were created.
Additional literature: n/a