< FRANCE | EVIAN-LES-BAINS: Hôtel Ermitage
Located on the “plateau des Mateirons” at a height of 125 meters above the lake and set in 47-acre private wooded grounds, the Hôtel Ermitage was built
between 1908 – 1909 at the top station of the funicular railway. Vast Anglo-Normand-Savoyard style chalet, with a savoyard-style roof and galleries overlooking Lake Geneva,
was designed by architect Pierre Martinet.
From the moment it opened its doors, the Ermitage received a prominent clientele and well-known families including the Schlumbergers, Singers and the Countess of Castellane.
The Hotel remained open until the 1930s. In 1950, it became a hospital and subsequently in 1967, a renal centre. In 1991, the Hotel was bought by the Evian Mineral Water Company and after a period of renovation, the Ermitage was returned to its original use. In 1993, a conference center and spa were added to its facilities.
In 2010, the hotel was totally refurbished by Parisian interior designer Patrick Ribes.
Not far from the Hôtel Ermitage is the Cachat Spring, the source of evian natural mineral water, to which the town owes its fame. Since the 19th century, the water has been used for treatments at evian’s thermal spa.
Additional literature: n/a