< UNITED STATES | CHICAGO: The Drake

1920



The Drake


Chicago


140 East Walton Place
Chicago, IL 60611
United States

Phone: +1 312 787 2200
Fax: +1 312 787 1431

www.thedrakehotel.com

Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

GPS: 41° 54' 01.6" N 87° 37' 24.3" W


MAKE A RESERVATION

  powered by: Booking.com

Located in the heart of the Gold Coast on the Magnificent Mile overlooking Lake Michigan, the Italian Renaissance style Drake Hotel has been a purveyor of excellence in hospitality ever since it opened its doors on New Year's Eve 1920. Envisioned by famed architect Benjamin Howard Marshall, The Drake Hotel came to fruition when brothers John B. Drake and Tracy Corey Drake financed the project in 1919.


Throughout the roaring twenties The Drake became high-society’s first choice in opulence. The Fountain Court, now known as the Palm Court, hosted Chicago's social elite daily for tea—a continuing tradition at The Drake.

The popularity of the illustrious urban resort continued to rise well into the 1930s seemingly unaffected by the crash of 1929. Icons such as Bing Crosby, Walt Disney, George Gershwin, and Charles Lindbergh could be seen sipping a cocktail and listening to Herbie Kay in The Gold Coast Room.

In 1932 the Cape Cod Room became Chicago’s first choice for fresh fish and seafood and the nation’s first themed restaurant. Twenty years later, seen laughing over drinks, newlyweds Marilyn Monroe and Joe Dimaggio would carve their iconic initials into the bar’s world famous wooden counter.

On December 6th, 1933, the day after prohibition was repealed, Coq d’Or opened to the favor of thirsty patrons eager to purchase a 40 cent whiskey. In the 1940s it became a local hangout for reporters, politicians, and even some notorious characters, though it never lost the true Chicago crowd.

In 1940, The Drake sign was illuminated solidifying the hotel’s rightful place in the most internationally recognized skyline. The 40s proved to be a decade of colossal change, both at The Drake and around the world. The Palm Court changed seasonally to accommodate the changing palate of the sophisticated patrons. In the winter, to set the holiday tone, the fountain was replaced with a 2,000-pound fireplace. In the summer, to get the cool lake breeze, the ceiling was open and the fountain was filled with fresh water.

Throughout the 50s and 60s the political and social climate of Chicago was evolving and The Drake was inclined to develop alongside the city. By the 1970s the John Hancock Center towered over The Drake, providing a frame of evolution for the half-century hotel.

In 1980 Hilton International acquired The Drake Hotel and restored it to its former glory. The Drake Hotel guests see today provides the grandeur of the past and accommodations fitting for today’s high society.

Though The Drake has progressed both architecturally and technologically, the roots of The Drake Hotel run deep beneath Lake Shore Drive into Real Chicago.


Additional literature:



#Robert V. Allegrini: Chicago's Grand Hotels: The Palmer House, The Drake, and The Hilton Chicago
Arcadia Publishing, 2005 | ISBN-10: 0738539546; ISBN-13: 978-0738539546
English language | 144 pages | Paperback


|  Buy it at Amazon   |   Buy it at Alibris |