< DENMARK | COPENHAGEN: Hotel d'Angleterre


Hotel d'Angleterre


34, Kongens Nytorv
1050 Copenhagen K

Phone: +45 3312 0095
Fax: +45 3312 1118


Facebook   |   Instagram

GPS: 55° 40' 50" N 12° 35' 5" E


  powered by: Booking.com

The story of the Hotel d’Angleterre began in the middle of the 18th century when Jean Marchal, a servant of the royal court, and Maria Coppy, daughter to the royal chef, fell in love. Maria was known for her cooking talent and Jean was well versed in serving the privileged. Together they established a restaurant on Kongens Nytorv in 1755, “The Strong Man’s Garden”, and in the autumn of the same year the couple moves the establishment from the lakes to the King’s Square at the corner of Vingårdsstræde. It is from this year that the official founding of the Hotel d’Angleterre is marked, although the name only becomes a reality some 30 years later.

In 1787, the restaurant was sold to the visionary restaurateur, Gottfried Rau, who hosted The English Club in Copenhagen. The club laws were passed on to his new property, while the name was changed to Hotel d’Angletere because of the English Club guesting the hotel. In 1795, the hotel burnt almost to the ground, and Gottfried Rau believed that it was too costly to rebuild it. Instead, it was the building of Rau Grams Gård a stone’s throw from the ruined hotel who took over the role of Hotel d’Angleterre – and this is the current building and location of the hotel.

On February 11th 1840, famous Danish composer and conductor H.C. Lumbye gave his debut concert à la Strauss, and thus the Hotel d’Angleterre became synonymous with the city’s new concert hall and music scene in general.

In 1872 the hotel changes owner once again. “Det Kjøbenhavnske Byggeselskab” headed by the “king of trading” C.F. Tietgen, took over the hotel. The new owners were ready to challenge the other European luxury hotels by refurbishing Hotel d’Angleterre. Designed by the Danish architect, Jens Vilhelm Dahlerup, the main building was extended 10 meters, a new wing along Hovedvagtsgade became a reality and “The White Hall” (now known as Palmehaven) saw the light in a new two-floor wing.

A massive wine cellar, an oven that could keep a 1000 plates warm, chefs and Maitre d’s made it possible for Mr. and Mrs. Vincent to host a daily banquet in the hotel’s main restaurant; the “Table d’Hôte” salon, where the hosts were seated at the main table. Although it was a very solemn event, it was more like visiting a stately home than a hotel. For DKK 3, you could enjoy a dinner of soup, fish, a green dish, roast and dessert – and the price also included live music from a small orchestra.

At the end of the 1800's a new café, "Golden Cure", named after an American method of curing alcoholism, was added on the corner of the hotel. The hotel had long had a café on the opposite corner by Hovedvagtsgade, but predicted greater success by moving the café. Guests were competing for a seat in the new café, in particular the table at the corner window where there was a clear view of life on the popular square; Kongens Nytorv. The success abruptly came to an end, when the hotel once again burned to the ground shortly before the First World War. The fire was followed by a rebuilding and yet another conversion of the building, where an additional floor and a beautiful glass roof covering the courtyard was installed. It was with great inspiration from hotter climates that the name Palmehaven (The Palm Court) was chosen and exotic palm trees and marble sculptures made the room an ultra-trendy hub for the Danish elite who could enjoy afternoon high-tea and dance to the music of the best orchestras of the time.

The First World War put a spoke in the wheel for the Hotel d’Angleterre. Not only did the curfew result in limitations for the elite’s excesses, but a number of Russian refugees also took up residence at the hotel and made a spectacle of themselves, for as long as their Rubles lasted. During the Second World War the German High Command selected the Hotel d’Angleterre as residential headquarters, and guards now flanked the hotel’s main entrance. The Danes were not pleased with the German occupation of neither country nor hotel, and chose to boycott the hotel.

The war years not only put a severe mark on the Danish population, but unfortunately also on the hotel. The war had taken it’s toll on the Hotel d’Angleterre, and more than a coat of paint was needed to bring the hotel back to it’s former glory. In November 1945 the management was given the go ahead by the owners to begin restoration.

At the end of the 1980's and early 1990's times were hard for the hotel and catering industry in Denmark. Several establishments turned the key, and the crisis had also left it’s mark on the Hotel d’Angleterre, which the hotel’s present owners had taken over in December 1993. The vision and optimism of the new owners however, was far more brilliant than the spirit of that time: The White Lady should once again emerge as one of the most exclusive hotels in the world – and as the most prestigious hotel in Copenhagen.

The owners invested hundreds of millions of Danish Kroner in the hotel and the famous Danish artist Bjørn Wiinblad was involved in decorating the hotel restaurant, which also bore his name until the spring of 2005, the famous Christmas decoration with thousands of lights has been a fixed element on the façade of the hotel since 1995 and in 1996 the hotel had it’s own spa and fitness center with Scandinavia’s largest indoor hotel swimming pool installed and in addition; Europe’s largest glass mosaic roof was installed in the Palm Court in 2005.

The present owners closed down the hotel at the end of May 2011, in order to begin the most ambitious hotel restoration in Danish history. Reopening on May 1st 2013 as a revitalized grand palace balancing legacy and style with intuitive and tailored services, the d’Angleterre complements the desires of today’s refined travelers with the following services:

The hotel features 90 rooms including 60 suites – all with spacious bathrooms as well the latest technology and individually controlled climate systems. As the first Scandinavian hotel it offers douche toilets in all categories. The stunning 250 square-meter Royal Suite features a grand balcony overlooking Kongens Nytorv Square and The Royal Theater.

The contemporary restaurant Marchal features a walk-in wine room and an open display kitchen. Marchal's bar is designed to create a dynamic and high-energy environment for both residents and Copenhageners alike. The additional Champagne bar “Balthazar” offers a selection of more than 200 Champagnes. Also on offer are tapas-style cuisine and Caviar and on weekends live DJ’s. The hotel’s refurbished private function rooms offer the ultimate setting for tailor-made meetings, events and celebrations all with state of the art technology. The historic Palm Court and Louis XVI Ballroom continue to be the most desired venue in Copenhagen.

The new 400 sqm Spa, “Amazing Space by d’Angleterre”, features an expansive menu of signature treatments as well as wet areas, fully equipped fitness studio and a ten by twelve meter indoor swimming pool.

Today, the d’Angleterre is an icon and a historic landmark in Copenhagen, celebrated for its elegance, luxury and style. It has been the site for legendary political, royal and national events throughout Denmark’s history.

Additional literature: n/a